Increase in Pedestrian Traffic Deaths Causes Texas DOT to Warn Drivers About Daylight Savings
This week, the Texas Department of Transportation warned drivers about the risks associated with shorter days and longer nights that come with daylight savings. The department noted that Texas saw a 15% increase in pedestrian traffic fatalities in 2021 and those numbers increased even more in the fall and winter months after the time change.
As a result, TXDOT reminded drivers to:
- Stop for pedestrians at crosswalks
- Yield to pedestrians when turning at an intersection
- Do NOT look at your phone while driving so you can pay attention
- Have increased awareness of pedestrians when driving at night
TXDOT also encouraged pedestrians or people walking of the following items:
- If possible, make eye contact with drivers before crossing a street. Do NOT assume a driver sees you
- Cross a street only at intersections or at crosswalks and make sure to look both ways first
- If walking at night, make sure to avoid dark clothing and wear reflective materials, light clothing, or carry a flashlight
- Use a sidewalk to walk
- If there is not a sidewalk, walk on the left side of the road facing oncoming traffic
Pedestrian and traffic accidents often lead to pedestrian fatalities due to the lack of protections and safety devices for a pedestrian as compared to a driver or passenger in a vehicle.
If you or a loved one were injured or a killed in a pedestrian traffic accident, you may have a personal injury or wrongful death lawsuit or insurance claim. Your potential claim may allow you to seek damages and compensation for past and future medical expenses, lost wages, and even physical, mental, and emotional pain and suffering. In addition, you may be able to seek punitive damages if the driver causing a pedestrian injury or fatality was under the influence from drugs or alcohol or distracted because of cell phone use or texting while driving.
In order to maximize your potential recovery for an injury or wrongful death claim, make sure you contact an experienced personal injury attorney and law firm that actually lives in and knows your community. Stout & Stout Lawyers has nearly 75 years experience helping people with injury and wrongful death claims in Southeast New Mexico, West Texas, and throughout the Permian Basin. All initial consultations with Stout & Stout Lawyers are free! Also, you do not pay attorneys’ fees in your lawsuit or insurance claim unless there is a recovery made by the lawyers.
Contact Stout & Stout Lawyers today for a free consultation. Stout & Stout Lawyers will develop a winning strategy for your case to get you the compensation and damages you deserve!